Jul 31, 2005

well basically i have nothing much to do, thus the reason for blogging. It's pretty sad that there's nothing much to do on a sunday, when you know that the monday blues will hit you hard tomorrow, especially if you're an office hour nsf. Anyway, a single life is what im experiencing now, and it can be sucky at times. When all your old cliques have drifted away due to them being in new environments with new found friends and you being stuck in camp 6 days a week all year round, the impact hits especially hard. Of course, everyone makes new friends in new environments, me included, but i realise how much or rather how little i've been out with my jc clique in the past year. Probably a lunch or dinner quarterly and thats all there is to it. Sad that way, but i suppose life moves on for everyone.

Back to a single life, i've been single for i cant remember when. When i was staying in camp the previous year, i've always longed for a girlfriend to go out with on the weekends. I suppose this has got to do with me being cooped up in camp all week, doing endless physical trainings or facing the mundane classroom law lectures. Now that i'm serving from a different point of view - that of office hours - i feel so much more care-free and am actually enjoying it. I've got time to do whatever i want to do at nights and especially on the weekends, i can stay out late and meet whoever i want on weekdays and i can even head out to town for lunch. Most of my ns friends are single, and i dont know if this has gotta do with the stigma of national service, but throughout this time, all the guys will stick together and camaraderie prevails. It's very obvious when a bunch of guys in crew cuts walk down the street just girl-watching and not giving a damn about anything else surrounding them. I'm very much the same single nsf that everyone else is, but just that me and my nsf friends have outrageously long or funky hair. But being single is probably the time when you can do the stuff that you wanna do. As for me, i'be been wakeboarding alot till the reality of the cost involved finally bogged me down, and also been spending my nights in clubs and pubs drinking and chatting or dancing. I'll be going to Mt Ophir soon (if the planning works), and also to take my diving license at tioman. I wanted to do a tandem jump in collaboration with national day, but its a whooping $500 buck!I'm still thinking about it but one thing's for certain, I wouldnt want half of my pay to drop from the sky in a parachute strapped to someone else.

I volunteered to be deployed for national day yesterday. While doing duty, it struck me that a year has passed so quickly. One minute i was marching, the next minute standing in my uniform watching my soon-to-be succesors marching. What a feeling! It always seems like the seconds and hours pass so slowly, but often the years just fly by. Trust me, this is from the point of view of a national service man. But at least I caught up with some of my squadmates yest, many of whom i've not seen in months and are all busy with their own work.
I was in the Quick Response Team yesterday, and we're supposed to respond to emergencies around the Padang. Well we couldnt ask for more. There was bomb hoaxes and supposed ' snipers', but the consolation is that while responding to a call, me and the team managed to head up to the roof top of the new supreme court and boy, what a view from the top! The chief justice is so lucky, for out of his window lies Shenton way and beyond, but especially at night, the lights around the area is magnificent. Maybe it is the government's idea to want him to work late everynight, and the scenery is just an incentive. Haha.

Anyway did i mention i've got a short attention span? I've found something else to do, so off i go..

No comments: